View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 10:04 AM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Hold on, I think I need some clarification here.

I'm seeing the pin output for the Yoke on the schematic, but my confusion is arising from the fact that it lists a different resistance for the horizontal and vertical windings. How can I tell which winding set I'm measuring?

I'll double check, but from what I Pin 9 on the oscillator isn't used for anything. I looked underneath and it appears that it was soldered to the board for stability, but there are no traces on it, and no wires connected to it, so I'm fairly certain that in itself was not the cause of my yoke going bad.

As far as I can tell, the only wire that broke on the yoke is the lead going to the terminal strip on the side. I'll have to trace where that's supposed to solder and reconnect it, then do an ohms check to see if I'm okay. At least, that's what I'm figuring. I'm confused on your suggestion to dig out both ends, though. Can I not just reconnect that one blown lead and test from the pins on the socket? That will at least tell me if I've got worse problems before I start tearing into anything else.

That being said, is a yoke really supposed to be receiving enough voltage to spark like mine did? These were big sparks - think the size I'm supposed to be getting from my flyback, but from the yoke. If I were to pick up a replacement, or repair this one, what's to say something else wouldn't immediately blow it? Is there somewhere else I could be testing to check for that, or would a shorted yoke be enough to do what mine did?

I'm probably going to have more questions before I move forward. I'm a bit out of my element here, and I don't want to blow anything else.