View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Frenchy

On my CTC-5, I opted to only replace the 3A3 rectifier tube with a solid state plug-in. That way there is no filament for that tube (which is drawn off of the flyback itself), figured it might reduce the stress on the flyback. Conceivably could allow for brightness to be turned up higher before blooming creeps in but I didn't really notice a significant difference. (These very early color sets don't really have any anti-blooming circuitry in them so you can't just twist the brightness/contrast up as high as you want but you guys know that.) Well all that and...it was just something to do, I'm not necessarily recommending it.
I didn't want to mess with going solid state on the power rectifiers as al it would do is reduce the stress on the transformer a little and that's not something I'm going to worry about like I would a flyback. Plus from what I heard from others, sounded like it might not be good for the rest of the set for the power tubes to come up immediately upon turn-on.....Frenchy
Audiokarma