View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 09:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well a huge thank you to everyone that offered some help in this thread. This was the first TV repair I've attempted since around 1980. And I'm happy to say that we got it working great (I consider it a group effort).

In the end, I replaced X4 the video detector diode, replaced two capacitors in the vertical section, and cleaned and repaired the tuner. It had nearly 60 years' worth of tobacco juice that had made a thick, rich glaze on all the contacts. After like, 20 qtips I had it shining like new. Then I had to repair the contacts for the switch that turns on B+ to the UHF tuner when switched to the UHF position. I've just finished putting it back together, have all the knobs and body parts de-gunked and back in place, and have got my hands on a plastic screen bezel that was missing from my set.

The only thing remaining is to touch up some of the missing silver trim paint, and polish out some scratches on top of the cabinet.

I'm feeling super optimistic now that I was able to see this through to the end, and have already started on a Zenith from the same era. Once I get the cabinet all prettied up I'll do a blog post and put some photos here; I know it's a set that a few people are interested in.