View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
<----Zenith C845

I'm not familiar with Philco "Golden Grid" TVs (probably so named because they may have tuner tubes or video IF tubes, or both, with gold-plated grids), but if your set is Philco's "Microgrid 390" model, you have an excellent set that will be well worth the effort it will take to restore it. I had a 23" MG390 console set I rescued from a trash pile in the early 1970s, and it worked very well for me -- until the base came unglued from the CRT neck and came off. I made the mistake of hard-wiring the CRT leads from the chassis to the wires protruding from the neck, where the socket should be. The set actually worked quite well for a while, until one of the CRT leads broke off flush with the glass, fell across two or more other leads on the tube -- then there was a spark and the set quit; no fire, thank goodness. I didn't know much about advanced TV repair at that time (I was only 14 years old in 1970), but if the Internet and VK had been around then, I could have gotten information on how to safely handle CRTs on which the bases have parted company with the neck.

Oh well. It was probably just as well I had to junk that set, as I found out a year or so later I would have to move (long story and OT) and would not be able to take the set with me. If I had it to do over again, however, I would do things a lot differently with that CRT, researching VK before doing anything.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.