View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would think those "self-shifters" could be a nightmare to get adjusted just right. I would like to see one in action someday, just for the novelty. Years ago I knew an old fellow with a '52 Dodge that was always for sale. Kinda wished I bought it from him; I probably could have picked it up for $2k. The flathead six in that car was the quietest engine I've ever heard. Anyway, I guess one fender had been replaced at some point because the nameplates didn't match and one said it had that semi-auto shift (I forget what they called it). I do have to adjust the kick-down switch on mine (or perhaps replace it) as it's not working. One good thing is there's a great wealth of knowledge online for these cars.

I've really been itching to work on the Packard but the dear Mrs. says I have to get a few more honey-dos finished first. (Somehow that list keeps getting longer!) I wondered why the heater core was bypassed and found the valve leaks (judging by the pieces of cut-off hose remaining in place it must have been like that for many, many decades.) I bought a rebuild kit (just consists of a seal) so need to get it pulled out and taken apart. The other issue is that the car likes to stall, mostly when making turns, and then won't readily restart. My research points to a misadjusted float but I just haven't had time to tinker with it. Someday I'll play with it then drive over the nearby industrial park and do a bunch of hard turns and see what happens. As it stands dear Mrs. refuses to ride in it with me. My friend has been very slow paying for the old Ford so we're still using it every chance I get. Its exhaust donut has developed a leak which makes it seem even more rustic in comparison to the smooth & quiet Packard.