Thread: New enthusiast
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement. I want to clarify a little on the test I did on the CRT. I looked up the schematic for the picture tube (Tung-sol spec sheet) and it said that pins 2 and 12 were the heater pins. Using a Cen-tech digital multimeter model 98025 (cheapo version that I got free from harbor freight) I set the dial to 200 ohms. Before taking the measurement the readout reads "1" to the far leftmost position, there is blank space (enough for maybe 3 digits) to the right and then the decimal point is visible. When I cross the leads the value settles at 1.3 ohms. this differs from the manual which states that the shorted leads should read zero ohms. I put a brand new battery into the multimeter. At any rate, with these settings, the value on the multimeter when reading pins 2 and 12 is the same as described above a 1 to the left of the readout screen and the decimal point to the far right. My thinking is that this means no continuity. When I take other measurements using this setting for example the fuse on the power supply that squirrel boy mentioned it seems to give a legitimate reading - 1.3 ohms. Any ideas on what this reading means - is it an indicator that the picture tube is bad?

As for the CRT mounting - I think it is chassis mount so I will take the CRT and chassis out as a Unit. I did order the SAMS from ebay and am awaiting arrival.