View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
I usually think of our spacefaring technology as kind of... primitive.
OK, how would YOU do it? Be specific with practical ways, available now, to get to Earth orbit.

It's been said that no matter where you want to go in space, once you get to Earth orbit, you're halfway there. Translation: it takes a LOT of energy to get to EO. Maybe one day something will be developed to replace conventional rockets, but it still will need to overcome the tremendous energy of Earth gravity.

Once you're in space, ion thrusters are a promising technology, but they can't get you off the face of the Earth.

Quote:
But I suppose it does speak something about any technology, when it has advanced far enough to be used for doing stupid shit for no reason.
While you are entitled to like/dislike what they did, it was NOT for no reason. It has already been mentioned in the posts above, but they needed ballast, in essence, to serve as a test load. Instead of using something ordinary like a mass of concrete, they decided to have some PR fun with it. Musk owns SpaceX and Tesla, so you should be able to see why he did that, even if you don't like it.

Quote:
And while a car in space is pretty cool (incidentally, I imagine there were loads of considerations for placing an automobile in space!),
No, the chances of any other manufacturer's vehicle being used would have been slim to none. As I said, SpaceX & Tesla are owned by the same guy. Even if you don't like it, it should be plain to see the self-interest.