View Single Post
Old 04-01-2023, 07:30 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

Do keep in mind a TBC corrects the entire timebase of the video signal not just the chroma irregularities regardless of the format be it an EIAJ Sony AV-3450 B&W PortaPack or Sony BVW-75 BetacamSP even the Type-C format had a timebase corrector. Think of the scan lines as a deck of cards all stacked up, the TBC just centers all the cards so all the edges are nice & neat. Color correction is more of a Proc Amp that can manipulate the chroma & phase along with the positive & negative levels of the actual signal.

Going back to your previous post I'm not discounting the amateurs for a lack of knowledge, they just put me out of a job. Some of them are quite talented and others are learning as they go, the cool thing about knowledge is everyone can learn and expand themselves. My dad and I were technical writers and we produced countless training videos together, he wrote and I captured and we both edited everything together to make the final production.

The M-II format was actually far superior than the BetacamSP format in many aspects but Sony had already established the "oxide" Betacam format leaving Panasonic in the dust, M-II was the M format after puberty.