View Single Post
Old 12-17-2023, 10:16 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

I'm not sure that doubling the color subcarrier would have a marked impact on the color resolution, there is still the overall phase response time that is going to be far slower and slew induced distortions. The actual colorburst of 3.579545 MHZ is the center frequency and it has an overall bandwidth of about 1MHz so knocking this down in the hetrodyne process is going to shrink this as well. Betacam is its own animal and doesn't use any color carriers in the conventional sense, when everything comes together the color bandwidth is about 120 lines in the real world with far less phase error or jitter, I don't see how even an improved down conversion is going to compete but stranger things have happened. The pro broadcast side of Sony was a huge money maker for them and they always met the demands of the buying professionals knowing they had no problem with the pricetag, when a station or the network ratings are on the line money is no object. It must be rugged & reliable on the outside and as accurate as possible on the inside so I would think a "compromise" like a hetrodyne wouldn't be a consideration in the big picture. Just a few degrees of phase error could cause issues with a chroma key so while a TBC can help it won't filter or fix everything.