View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 04:59 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex KL-1 View Post
+1 for the cool pictures!

Other thing crosses my mind, besides the round vs rectangular debate...

BTW, this RCA ad makes some sense, and I may also add... color also makes the brightness sensation (also is contrast related). At least to my particular senses, B&W TV or scenes needs to have more "lumens" (luminosity) to transmit same brightness sensation than color scene transmits...

Perhaps very obvious for people studiyng video or film science (human sensory perceptions), but is cool to watch for itself

But sometimes I wonder if the weight of each primary color for the B&W matrix didn't varies between each individual...
The things you speculate about the psychophysics of color are true.
Highly saturated colors appear brighter than a gray of the same luminance.
Monochrome images require more contrast than color to give the same impression of discrimination between objects.
People with normal color discrimination do vary in their sensitivity to the primary light sources, both for apparent brightness and for the ratios of primaries needed to match an intermediate wavelength.

In addition, because of the gamma of the picture tube and corresponding gamma correction in the camera, the reproduced luminance of saturated colors viewed on a monochrome picture is reduced.
For example, a full amplitude 100% saturated red has Y signal = 0.3, but the monochrome image has luminance of 0.3 ^ (CRT gamma). CRT gamma may be around 2.6, so the monochrome image luminance for this color is only
R=G=B=0.3^2.6 = 0.043, so visual luminance = 0.043. But when you add the color signals, the CRT puts out R=100% (G and B = zero), which has the correct visual luminance of 0.3.