View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Somehow I think that if trolley buses were still used around here, public transit would be a lot more efficient. The traffic jams and lateness of buses can be a nightmare. There has been talk about a commuter rail service, but the big wigs have said that it's not feasible. I haven't researched it recently, so I don't know what's going on with it right now. Wow, the only vehicles I have seen parked on sidewalks around here are city service vehicles.

The digital displays with the moving circles, magnetic flip-dot signs I guess, same sort of technology as the Luminator MAX/Super MAX signs that were/are used around here. The dots forming the numbers and letters though, not circles. They're oddly shaped. The Nova artics and New Flyers use LED signs and certain older 40-foot Novas LFS buses and certain newer Classics have been retrofitted with LED signs.

I have attached a couple more photos, first a 1981 T6H-5307N #512 that had been retrofitted with a Luminator MAX, picture taken by yours truly in 2008 (wow, auto image scaling really messed up the quality). Next up is a photo of 871 with 874 parked behind it and 919 in the background after retirement, 871 displaying an outdated route on its rollsign and 919 showing only the last five letters of "out of service" on its sign.

Oh, and before I forget again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Hi All;
The ones I liked and fondly remember was the about 1950's Round Corner Buses, they were white..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZLqAdR705s

THANK YOU Marty
That sounds like it may have had a Detroit Diesel 6-71, the inline-six predecessor to the 6V71 I'm guessing. They sound very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Is there any love for the swoopy GM buses that came out in the eighties, the ones w/the curved blackout windows ? They always kinda looked like toys to me.
Unfortunately I have no idea what those are.

Last edited by Jon A.; 03-09-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Removed pics to free up attachment space.