View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 11:52 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Tacked in a new 47k. It doesn't look neat, but works. Another resistor nearby had been similarly tacked in before I got the set, so I'll consider it to be a typical sort of repair.
I suspect there are many resistors out of spec, but I am not ready for a complete shotgun restoration until I am forced to, which may never happen.

One thing I forgot to mention: the sound was weak as well as the picture. With the detector level up to normal, the sound volume is now increased to a normal range.

I reviewed my ratio detector theory. The explanations of the ratio detector always say it rejects amplitude modulation. However, what they usually don't explain is that this only occurs when the FM carrier is quiescent at center frequency. The amplitude of the detected audio is also proportional to the signal level into the ratio detector. This Super chassis, with only one audio IF stage, does a poor job of amplifying the subcarrier to a point where it limits, so the audio level can be affected by the detector output level. This is especially true because the IF audio trap alignment is a compromise between eliminating audio interference in the picture and having enough 4.5 MHz subcarrier left to detect.

At this point, the set seems to be a fair example of the performance of this lowest-form-of life chassis.