View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxcrusadr View Post
Any numbers on the transformer on this thing?
Yes, there are numbers on it. They are 53X245 followed by (under) 5 41. When I started this thread, I hadn't unbolted it and moved the wires to clean the wax and debris to find the numbers. A VK member well versed in all of this has a unit that will require the use of a 6V rectifier as opposed to the 5Y3. Namely the 6x5. He has a larger unit with a 5v tap, but I want to get the correct fit as there isn't a lot of room before the tranny would be all over the rectifier socket. I don't want my rectifier any closer to the trans. than it already is. I have always wondered why some manufacturers placed the rectifier as close to the trans as possible. I like the design I have seen in TVs where the rectifier is actually mounted on the top of the transformer. Now there's a way to sink that heat! Probably awful to try to find a direct replacement for though.

If memory serves me right, that would be an improvement. I think the 5Y3 is famous for taking out transformers. I need to get my info straight as it may be the 6X5 that is the problem child. It's a pretty common topic in the radio world. It's just been a while since I read up on it. I'll check it out and say for sure so I don't mislead anyone.