View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
Yes, there are numbers on it. They are 53X245 followed by (under) 5 41. When I started this thread, I hadn't unbolted it and moved the wires to clean the wax and debris to find the numbers. A VK member well versed in all of this has a unit that will require the use of a 6V rectifier as opposed to the 5Y3. Namely the 6x5. He has a larger unit with a 5v tap, but I want to get the correct fit as there isn't a lot of room before the tranny would be all over the rectifier socket. I don't want my rectifier any closer to the trans. than it already is. I have always wondered why some manufacturers placed the rectifier as close to the trans as possible. I like the design I have seen in TVs where the rectifier is actually mounted on the top of the transformer. Now there's a way to sink that heat! Probably awful to try to find a direct replacement for though.

If memory serves me right, that would be an improvement. I think the 5Y3 is famous for taking out transformers. I need to get my info straight as it may be the 6X5 that is the problem child. It's a pretty common topic in the radio world. It's just been a while since I read up on it. I'll check it out and say for sure so I don't mislead anyone.
The 5Y3 and its Variants the G and GT and its cousin the 80 Rectifier tube are known to be very reliable tubes, its the 6X5 that's known to be the bad boy of the Rectifier tube world, the later miniature version of this tube the 6X4 was known to be a good trouble free rectifier tube, but if you want to try and keep the radio as original as possible I would either keep the original 5Y3 Setup or possibly modify it so it would run off of an 80 Rectfier tube which is a UX base (4 pin) version of the 5Y3 tube, both tubes of which were in use during the time period this radio was made, and are like I said known to be good tube designs that don't flake out and ruin transformers like the 6X5.