View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 05:51 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline12 View Post
Was unaware about the tidbit regarding the paper caps… VERY happy that you shared that. I’ve been hunting down some of the electrolytics stated in already… seems some are pretty tough to find already (10uf 600V… yeesh). Still looking though. Thank you!
This isn't a favorite practice among restorers but is a solution Dumont used in its RA-103 to get a voltage not offered. When you put 2 electrolytic caps of the same value in series the effective working voltage is the sum of the caps, and the effective capacitance is half of an individual caps value (it gets much more complex if the caps are different values).

What I would do is put two 22uF caps rated in the 350V-450V range in series. Electrolytic caps have polarity like batteries (and will explode and or smoke if connected backwards), and when placed in series you want to connect the positive of one cap to the negative of the other. Additionally since electrolytics are rarely perfectly identical even from the same maker there's a tendency for the voltage to split unevenly...To prevent this get two 470K ohm 1W resistors and place a resistor in parallel with each cap. The loading of the resistors will be negligible on the circuit but enough to equalize voltage across each cap....This is basically the exact circuit used for the first lytic off the rectifier in the Dumont RA-103.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma