View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I've seen quite a few late '70's Truetone-badged Sharp color TV's that had bad flyback transformers and they were hard to find, even in the mid '90's.
....and the flyback part numbers - RTRNF......and always ended in ZZ - I remember those Sharp flybacks as well. The black and white sets ate 'em just as well, but most faults were open Horizontal Oscillator coils - the windings didn't hold up in heat and humidity. We could fix them easily, if the set hadn't been run and the flyback was ate up. I guess the collector current in the Horizontal Output transistor would go to max when the oscillator quit. I do remember the symptom was a B+ resistor would get cherry red - sure sign the coil was open. Pop it out, resolder the corroded/open wire, and we were back in business, unless the fly was yellowed from internal heat. 8 bucks for a new flyback from MCM back then!

In the late 70's the distributors sent out sale flyers for CB and audio chips and transistors. In the 80s, it was flybacks, in the 90s, it was for video heads and idlers, and in the early 2000s, it was for RCA EEPROMs. Each era had it's own hot spots.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!