View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks! I'll have to go to the college and download the manual next week. Maybe I will luck out and my electronics professor will take it under his wing. Even with all of his vast knowledge of modern electronics; he still speaks highly of tube equipment. I am glad he likes tube stuff and he does at least give class time to discuss tubes in general. I have met many a trained "techs" who refuse to even acknowledge tube equipment as anything other than 100% useless old junk. I could always tell that the attitude was generated by their fear of the unknown. I sem to remember being younger and going to TV shops and the older guys would like me because I knew a lot about what they learned in college when they were younger. The younger guys always seemed to snub me, like they resented me. They weren't taught anything about tubes, and never had a job that forced them to learn, so they remained ignorant to a large of the topic and theories of electronics.

As a student, and hopefully soon as a professional in electronics, I think that it is truly necessary to know all that you can about both analog and digital, vacuum tube and "solid state" electronics to be a true professional. The trade is only around a century old. That's not a lot of time in the big picture. The more that I understand and can repair; the more profit potential I should have.