View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

Where Bob's at if he had Zenith boxes he could probably dispense with the antenna system altogether, and get the same reception with a few inches of phone outlet hook up wire plugged into the center of the boxes antenna jacks...
Once again you are speaking about something you personally know nothing about Tom. Your attitude seems to imply that you know my situation better than I do. That's nothing short of arrogant. I have lived in this house for 65 years, do you really think I don't understand the reception problems in my own home???

I have never been able to get decent tv reception, even back in the analog days because I actually live so close to the tower park that I am in the shadow of the towers. The signals are full of reflections due to aluminum siding on both my home and my neighbor's house who is between me and the towers.

Now for the real kicker. My house is aluminum sided and has a metal roof. The metal roof and aluminum siding attenuate signals to the point that I have to stand by a window to get 1 bar of signal strength on my cell phone. Cell phones are pretty much useless in my house.

1 mile NW of my house is another tower park where channel 12 and 58 broadcast from. I can't receive any of those signals at all due to the metal siding and roof. Currently my antenna is inside on the ceiling of the tv museum but I am considering relocating it to the outside to get a stronger signal without interference from the metal roof and siding.

I will take your word about the Magnavox box not having sensitivity as good as the Zenith. I have no experience with the Zenith boxes. However, in my situation the fact is that you can't get something from nothing. My Magie boxes work quite well if I connect only one box directly to the antenna. If I split the same minimal antenna signal, using a passive splutter, into 4 feeds to the converters, the signal drops too low to be of any use. Therefore a distribution amp is required.

The problem is not the Magnovox converter boxes, it is the Faraday Cage that I live in.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by ohohyodafarted; 01-08-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Audiokarma