View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I like your website with the built-in links and all. That coil got lunched, didn't it? Hard to tell but if it was just the outer wires, I'd make a careful drawing of the orientation of the coil in the set and where all the wires go, unsolder it, take it out, and try to scope which broken wires go with which ones. But this coil "looks" like it's beyond that.
Thanks- glad you like it!
I wonder if it was the mice, or whether it was something else; there aren't any bite marks in the wax, so it looks more like careless handling or a scrape against a sharp edge.

I'll give the repair a try and see what happens. I think it looks worse than it is because of all the fluff that is present. If not, I may have a spare coil from a junked stereo set I can use- I've amassed quite the pile of spares over a few years; all manner of toroids, transformers, and so forth. We'll see what happens- Thanks for the link to AES.

There are two coils on the same core there... I take it one is for the oscillator, and the other is a "hum-bucking" coil?

Regarding the trimmer adjustment, what would that entail? I don't have extensive sophisticated tools on hand.
Audiokarma