View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

More on the tape. I added a few photos of a bit of a broken end. You can see the white paper with a jagged paper break and the oxide break on the back different from the paper break. The box it came in suggested "a plastic ribbon" but that was not the case nor mylar. The box is later.

If you just bend the tape, it cracks like an egg. Mylar would be more forgiving.

NoPegs...it broke if I looked at it sideways. Mostly from the feed side when the feed drag was tight. More oil loosened it up to play with few splices after.

Ed...it is clearly paper from the photos. Paper thinner than a Saturday NY Post with the oxide on the recording side. You can see the paper tab break beyond the oxide where it split separately.

We got the recording in to our computers and cleaned it up EQing it and pulling out a small AC hum from the day.

I will post the Broadcastpioneers.com listing when it happens. Thanks for the encouragement from all of you. It is special to me to recover this bit of history from my old friend recorded before I was born.

Last edited by Dave A; 08-28-2018 at 11:04 PM.