View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Hi All;

I am happy to see progress on the picture tube rebuilding program getting underway. I think for the sake of getting an idea on a price point and demand for tubes 7jp4-guy is just doing some market research here on demand and getting some idea on where a budget may begin to take shape.

We can imagine that Hawkeye's prices gave him coverage of costs, plus a profit to put into his being able to live. We can equate that profit to funds to keep the tv museum and the crt rebuilding station open.

That said, I think prices should be at least at first based upon what Hawkeye was charging, and of course you may have to add to that for the replacement of consumables that will grow harder to acquire as more crt companies close their doors.
I would imagine he can even give you a starting point on demand for certain types of tubes. This community can do that as well. Just start a sub page "how many of you have tubes for rebuild" Add your type, quantity, max price payable.

I would also assume, that as the crt rebuilding station is set up the first tubes will have a high failure rate due to contamination, and the fact that this "art" can not be perfected by watching the movies on youtube. I would imagine color tubes may be a few years away, and that more common B&W tubes will be the first tubes to see rebuilding success and any amount of volume production.

It is impressive to see the grand size of the station drawing. It assumes a large volume of tubes will be processed. I sure hope this can be accomplished, but I think a small less expensive test size room might be a smarter way to go, save some cash.

I am very pleased to see the crt rebuilding project make VK its home (I hope) for news. Previously any news was quite sporadic, and scattered very unorganized across several websites and un-updated for a few years in some cases, even as these sites upon launch proclaimed to be the new location for news on the project.

I would also like to see a repository of knowledge collected, on the process, chemistry, machinery, all of it, here so that the knowledge can be accessed and improved upon by individuals who may not be near the station, but may have usable ideas for the project. I have enjoyed seeing and reading, and watching the youtube procedures of the attempts with the 15G that have been posted over the years. Each new posting I find seems to contain a little bit more information on the complexity of the procedure. I for one, would like to be able to read about and understand the entire procedure of crt rebuilding.

I think in the long run, the guns will have to be rebuilt by you guys, not just rebuilding the tubes, so that is something you will have to think about while allocating space for the project.

The possibility of rebuilding guns means that maybe recovery of the cut off old gun needs to be thought about now. When cutting off a gun you now have a replacement for, may mean that old gun should be saved, and stored in a clean, vacuumed, and sealed storage locker.

Thanks for bringing the crt rebuilding project news and progress reports to VK.

Last edited by Username1; 05-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.