View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Luddite Tendencies

I'll never forget a "radio reception" experience I had as a teen. It was 1974, and one summer night I was driving back to the farm in my dad's new Ford pickup, returning from a wedding I'd attended. There was a terrific thunderstorm going on right on top of me, thundering and lightning non-stop. As the truck only had an AM radio, I was trying to tune in some of the local stations to get weather reports, but the static was so bad, it was basically worthless.

Suddenly, at one point on the dial the static was completely gone, and a station came in clear and strong. I listened for a little while, and while I don't remember the call letters, I do remember for certain that it was out of Albuquerque, New Mexico. I was driving in central North Dakota.

I still live here, and often listen to AM at night. I routinely pick up Chicago stations (WGN, WBBM, WLS), Salt Lake City (KSL?), Denver (KOA) and sometimes WBAP out of TX, to name a few. Usually reception is better in winter, maybe because of snow on the ground?