View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
i <3 my Denon

Considering a Baofeng GT3-TP Mark III - Opinions?

Hello all,

Well, it's 4 weeks untill the local exam session! I'm not worried about passing tech at all; but I'm still doing a little studying as I haven't looked through the entire question pool yet; I also may go for a general while I'm there.

However, it's almost time for me to look in to getting a radio. I'm going to start out small and get a handheld; mostly because I would like to operate mobile at times (when I go on vacation and whatnot). Plus, it was the price of the older Baofengs at around $30 that was what pushed me in to getting serious about this hobby.

I asked around for some advice from other hams and several of them recommended the GT3 Mark II radio; saying the antenna included was much better than stock and that for the price it's a solid performing radio. However, I got to looking and found the newer GT3-TP Mark III for what I felt was a reasonable price; more than a $30 unit, but still within my budget.

The guys that recommended the GT3 Mark II told me that while 8 watts may be a "joke" on a handheld; that for the price I was looking at it wouldn't be a horrible buy. I'm really liking the specs I see, and it seems just as capable as any of the other handhelds I looked at.

So, what is this groups opinion on the this unit? The place I'm looking sells it with the standard accessories; plus a USB cable and the external mic/speaker. I know I'll need a USB cable for programming.