View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Thank you. When cost recovery is what comes to mind the most, then you're not a true collector.
The phono has a very simple synchronized motor that "floats" on 3 metal rods that are inserted into flexible rubber hangers. You just put the record on the platter, put your fingers on the center label and give it a sharp spin. It comes right up to perfect speed. They do easily stop when you grab the record to remove it. If these were complicated with idler wheels I likely would not bother with them.
Ahh, so you really wouldn't like my Columbia LP attachment then, it's got two idler wheels I had to have rebuilt by VM. It's not really that bad, you just send him the old ones and $30, and a little while later new idlers come in the mail, as if by magic.. It's lots of fun reviving a 70 year old machine and seeing it work!

I really like the simplicity of that player, I hope you have some good 78s for it! 78 collecting is a bizzare world, with 95% junk and a few good ones, with very few sellers who know what they are doing.