View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
So, I was searching reviews of various amplified DTV antenna's a few weeks back and found that this Winegard FL-5500 had received some good praise. I bought a factory re-furb off eBay and tested it out and I must say it works quite well.....
for $30 delivered, I consider it a very good deal and performer. The refurb'd product number is FL-55YR. Stated range is ~~ 50 miles, but it picked up a Vermont PBS station which is 75+ miles which I could never receive before.
It will be interesting to see what you think of the antenna a year or so from now, after going through the seasons.
My sad story:
A couple of summers ago I "installed" a 32" HDTV in the "quilting room" for my wife. Being only about 12 miles (and line of sight, except for a few trees) from the the towers, I decided to use a "high gain" amplified indoor antenna in the room. This saved me the effort of running coax to the room from our outdoor antenna. Picture on all channels looked great but signal strength on some channels was less than 80%. Things were fine until a wind/rain storm hit during a football game that she was watching. There was at times more "dropout" than picture! Hastily, I ran some coax down the hallway from the living to keep her happy. Even at this short distance, I find that indoor antennas offer me only "most of the channels, most of the time in most of the rooms". Phooey!

jr