View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Streamlined 1940 Silvertone phono

I recently acquired this 1940 Silvertone "attachment" phonograph model 57-F-05845. These small streamlined bakelite units were popular in the late '30's and early '40's. They usually were offered in two models, one attached directly to the radio, as mine, or, for almost double the cost, one had a built-in transmitter. Mine cost $7.95 when new and came with 10 Conqueror records of your choice. The turntable requires a slight push to get it going and you need to insert a Victrola-type needle frequently.
This example was found all original and needed a good cleaning/polishing. I also reflocked the platter. The most amazing thing is the unit works perfectly. The crystal cartridge still functions as new (unbelievably) and, with a little grease, the platter spins right on the money! I did a little reseach and could not find another example of this particular model. It's really a piece of streamline-moderne art that might possibly be the work of Raymond Loewy. I have yet to confirm that though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940 Silvertone 57F05845.jpg (57.9 KB, 33 views)