View Single Post
Old 04-28-2018, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've tried to get into them over the years but never found it worthwhile. I had a 40 channel digital Johnson & when I sold the van I just let the new owner keep it. The only time it was ever a benefit: learning about a long traffic jam up ahead, and being able to figure out which exit to take. I think it might have worked out twice. I never did have any conversation with anyone, just listened in.

I used to subscribe to Popular Communications (wonder if it's still around?) and the guy who wrote their CB column was always facing an uphill battle. He suggested folks periodically announce on ch.9 that they were monitoring it, in case anybody needed help, and that would therefore encourage people to use it. I tried that once & promptly received a frantic reply from some guy on the night staff at the local power plant who was also monitoring it. He was so garbled that I couldn't understand him, and he couldn't hear what I was saying, either! He was just sure that somebody badly needed his help-poor guy! Probably had that radio sitting there quiet 24/7 for years, caps dried out so you couldn't hold a conversation. I tried to explain that I was just monitoring it, too. I didn't bother anymore after that!