View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Well..... I cleaned it all up (DID end up using Goof-Off for the tape), set all that original paperwork aside safely, put BOTH antennas together, even though I don't really use the UHF loop. It just looked cool and should be there.

Powereing this up was a non-issue......JUST like if I had gotten it new 20 years ago. I made a nice spot for it to live in the kitchen, just like it woulda likely seen back then. It makes an odd "new TV" smell after a few hours of running. If I notice this in a week or so, I might open it up and look for anything alarming. it's NOT an ozone "HV smell"...or any sort of burning smell, just some sort of "stuff being warm" smell. I actually DON'T really wanna open it up, since it's pretty obvious this set was never run before. Maybe I could just get away with taking the back off and dusting it off unless I notice anything. I don't really think it needs ANY sort of dialing in. It shows a very solid crosshatch and nicely focused dots.

Picture is exactly as I expected of it really. Big and contrasty, and the bright/contrast controls are real exagerated compared to most my small sets. Brightness goes from BLACK to WAY too bright, contrast goes from "almost white screen" to big black shadows. Good and sharp. THIS is now my biggest set now, at least on my "collection" side at 12 inches. It's still about the same size box as the Sear 9" and the 9" Quasar TV I rescued from oblivion a few months ago. It looks nice in the kitchen....because it looks boring (dunno how to explain it). Looks like it's SUPPOSED to be there :-)

It's MUCH nicer looking and more satisfying to see there than if I had gone out and got a brand new 17" LCD panel.

Last edited by AiboPet; 07-30-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Audiokarma