View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did my first post in the Introductions forum a few days ago, lamenting the fact that all the cool old TVs are from the US and I'm in Europe where everything pretty much sucks. I've been looking online and in thrift shops for months and just finding icky 80s solid-state stuff.

But thanks to this thread, I happened to Google "Philco Townhouse" because I thought that pic looked like one of the ugliest TVs I've ever seen - in a good way, I mean, like lots of those midcentury Philcos. And what was the VERY FIRST thing that popped up on an image search? A freaking Philco Townhouse. In Spain. For 30€. That looks to be in pretty good shape, physically. And further thanks to that listing I have figured out what I need to be be searching for and discovered several other sets from the same era -Zeniths, Sylvanias, another Philco - that were either imported and converted, or made for export. Odd considering that in those days there was only one channel and it was the propaganda channel run by the dictatorship so I have to wonder why they were importing expensive American TVs. But regardless, good news!