View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got 3 of those Japanese AA5 tube radios from the early-to-mid '60's. One is white, the other is Grey and both have the "Tempest" badge. The third one is Pink and has the "Juliette" badge. Over the years, I've ran across them under many other brands and many colors. The insides are basically the same from one model to the next. Mine work and will pull in the local stations; but, they don't sound that great.

I once knew an older man who had a radio/TV shop up until the early '70's. He told me that in the late '60's, one of the local discount stores had a truckload of these radios that they wanted to unload because the new solid state sets had taken over and they wanted these old cheapie tube radios gone. My friend bought them for around $2/each and he never plugged the first one in. Instead, he pulled the tubes (usual AA5 miniature tube line-up) and tossed the rest of the radio. The whole purpose for him buying those radios was to get the tubes because he could get the tubes cheaper than he could if he bought them from the parts house.