View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusJones View Post
Alright I have 2 or possibly more 6a2 diodes. I think they are rated at 6amps 200 volts. And I know I built a 250 volt power supply from them. Would this be sufficient as a replacement. Cause from what I read the selenium are much larger than the silicon ones. So maybe these two guys would work? They are about 1 cm long and .7 cm in diameter.
Like I said I have no money so I wanna do anything I can with what I've got. (.91 cm x .91 cm actually)

And If I do have more than one can I double them up or put them in series to increase the voltage they can handle? I know it can be done with a cap

And one more question. The caps in this TV do you think there full of PBCs. Or is there no doubt they are
A good diode to use is the common 2.5A 1000PIV silicon type. Also any associated electrolytic capacitors in the voltage doubler circuit are likely dried open, hence your low voltage readings. Be sure the working voltage ratings of the replacement capacitors are the same or higher than the originals. Series hookups of capacitors can be done to increase working voltage ratings, but shunt resistors of about 220K ohms and 2watt or better should be used, as no 2 electrolytics have the same leakage, and one will almost always hog all the voltage from the other. Generally it is a better practice to avoid series connection, but paralleling them is OK to increase total capacitance, provided all the caps are of the appropriate voltage rating.

Make sure you get the polarity correct on all those diodes and capacitors....unless you like extreme excitement....