View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 12:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

We lost something, I think, when the "Look" of what a TV was "Supposed" to be was kinda standardized around 1955 or so & all the funky CRT & Bezel shapes faded away. A lot of the charm of veteran TVs is the fact that they DO have oddly shaped CRTs/bezels-At least they're not just an ugly grey plastic box, or an equally fugly 60 X35" flat panel...Back in the late '40s, up til the mid '50s, having a TeeVee was a big deal, a new expensive toy that you likely invited the whole neighborhood over to see & check out. Like my 1949-50 Zenith porthole, the TV in itself was kinda inpressive looking, something to be proud of &"Show off", akin to getting the widest whitewalls for yr '53 Olds or Buick...The Fifties were all about flash & show-We'd come off 15 years of depression & war, people had scrimped, saved, done with out, a lot of people had done well from hefty war production paychecks, & they were ready to "Strut their stuff" a little bit. As I read in a book on the car industry, in 1955, Detroit launched into a 15G dive into hedonism... But who could blame them...