View Single Post
Old 04-03-2023, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Guys, today March 30, 2023 is the first time in about a full year that I've been able to access this site with any browser (Firefox, Edge, Chrome). Before this I would just get a placeholder page saying something about yes, you have reached the server. Does anyone know what happened?
We've had access the whole time.

But as an IT person, I will say this, the server software is old. The DNS entries are a bit "off" (which might have been your problem, DNS related to the strange entries I see), along with no HTTPS support whatsoever but browsers never ditched non HTTPS, they just issue a small warning and that's the end of it, but some people are running into weird persistent warnings as well while others aren't.

I think VK needs to check their DNS, something's not right, because www.videokarma.org and videokarma.org are *not* the same, even though they are the same (that's the misconfiguration, www.videokarma.org always works, but if you don't use the www. portion, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but you can be logged into www.videokarma.org, and go to videokarma.org and it treats you like you're signed out even though it's the same site, also a DNS issue causing the cookies not to be pulled (usually not entering www. should forward you to the www. version but they have no such redirector which is why sometimes you also get signed out clicking on links here when a link goes to the non www. version). (You can see this effect here in my screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/a8bKGU8.png This is the only site I've seen which behaves this way and it's always a DNS issue so I bet there lies the issue in why some people have issues while others keep not having a single issue).

(PPS: nslookup will show videokarma.org does have www. as an alias, however usually we use redirectors to prevent issues, there is no such redirector, it's setup as an alias which is part of the issue, that's the old way but with websites like this that use cookies for login information you can't use an alias you must use a redirector or the cookies will fail to load entirely).

Last edited by lnx64; 04-03-2023 at 11:37 AM.