View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 07:12 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1stcav
Every antique tube radio I own has been restored, but the majority are located throughout the house for display use only since there are no nearby outlets to plug them in. I have 3 that are constantly used, so from time to time I'll rotate the unused radios from the 3 usable locations I have. Wish I had a humungous in-wall shelving system to display them all and select any one to listen to...I need a bigger house!
I know what you mean. I live in a one-bedroom apartment, with most of the AC outlets in places where I can't put my radios and use them at the same time. My Zenith K731 is atop the refrigerator in the apartment itself; the nearest outlet the cord will reach is about three feet away, near the kitchen sink, but I don't want to leave it plugged in there because of the potential shock hazard (though I do plug the radio into that outlet to test it every few days or so). There is an outlet behind the fridge, but I can't reach it, so that's out as well. One open outlet in the apartment I could use is behind my desk, but, wouldn't you know it, there is no room for any of my radios (except my AC/battery R-70 portable) on the desk. I also have two open outlets behind my end tables, one of which is near my TV set, the other behind the other table near my front door, but the tables themselves are too small to accomodate any of my radios other than the R-70. I grew up in a house with more AC outlets (and more room for radios) than you could shake a stick at, but unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to leave there in 1998 and move to an apartment (the one I live in today). Therefore, many of my vintage radios are either packed in boxes, stashed away under my bed (that's where my 1980 Zenith H480W AM/FM stereo clock radio and my Sony MR-9700W AM/FM stereo portable are) or in drawers in my dresser (where my Aiwa AR-115 AM/FM portable and Sony TFM-7720W portable are stashed). The only ones that get any amount of use right now are the Royal 1000-1 and the R-70. I do try to run the H-511 every now and again to keep the 3-section power supply filter cap formed, but most of the time it sits in my bedroom unused.

Oh well. Such are the drawbacks of being a vintage radio collector living in an apartment, but I'm not complaining. If the truth be known, I would not want to own a home, but that's a story for another thread, more properly located in AK's Off Topic forum.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.