View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 02:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

You don't need the software CD for setting up the radio it works out of the box and it is possible to enter frequencies into one manually but it is a total PIA to do it that way. The Software it comes with does not reside on the radio but on your computer it is a complete dog it is very unintuitive, once you use what follows you will know this. CHIRP (freeware remember) and RT Communications use spread sheets for frequency entry. You can manually enter things in but using the before mentioned software with online D bases, makes it so much easier, trust me. If you get the ARRL TravelPlus CD it is downright sweet. With it you bring up an interactive map you highlight an area and click it that brings up all of the repeaters in the area you have highlighted and a second click loads all of them into a spread sheet. When you have that then using CHIRP, or RT Communications you import this spread sheet, there you can edit it, set scanning parameters, tones, and priority when you are done using the docking cable you load it into the BaoFeng; done. My UV-5R is totally unlocked it came that way, I tell people who worry about this is don't. Once the radio is programed you really don't need to touch anything it has enough memory channels to cover just about every repeater in a given area and thanks to the above software can be changed quickly if you moving through another area. The bottom line is if the frequency is not legal for you to transmit on then don't, illegal use; just let the FCC worry about that. As for warranty service, in the first place I have never heard of anyone having any operational trouble with any BaoFeng but the bottom line if it fails dump it in the trash and get another one, if it cost several hundred dollars yes get it fixed but less the $50 dollars, in some cases less the $40 dollars it is not worth the trouble. If you get it from Amazon if it fails with in their return window they will replace it, or credit your account with a refund. I checked around and Amazon has the BaoFengs for as cheap as you are going to find them. Getting into repeaters I have a dual band Comet mobile antenna on my truck using and SMA to PO-239 adapter I can easily get into repeaters full quiet more then 50 miles away.

CHIRP works on just about every platform and OS. It is free give it a try. The interface on RT Communications is very smooth and as I said come with a good docking cable for whatever radio you have, if you need one.

Last edited by transmaster; 03-15-2015 at 02:59 AM.
Audiokarma