View Single Post
Old 03-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I wonder why your new Baofeng HT is so difficult to program. It shouldn't be, unless it cannot be programmed without a computer. Yours sounds like that. I just looked at Baofeng's web site and found that the UX-82L can be programmed using a USB cable and any Windows computer, but I don't see why it is so difficult to program manually, or why it would or should be possible to transmit with the UX-82L on anything other than amateur frequencies; after all, most HTs are set up so they absolutely cannot transmit outside the amateur bands (VHF and UHF in the case of the UX-82 series).

That you almost transmitted on a military frequency with your UX-82L HT seems incredible. The microprocessor which controls the VFO in all modern HTs, as I said, is programmed to disable the transmit function on any frequency above or below the U. S. 2-meter and UHF amateur bands. Was your particular version of the UX-82L originally designed as an export model? This is the only way I can see this radio being able to transmit anywhere outside the U. S. ham bands.

BTW, it's good seeing your posts here on VK again. I wondered what happened to you since your last one, although I suppose with moving and all you were quite busy. I hope all is well with you and your two cats now, though.

I know mine can transmit anywhere from 136 - 175 and 400 to 520 Mc. Of course I only use it for amateur radio and eventually I'll get the cable and CHIRP software. BTW, it would make a good marine radio if you go out on the rivers but would not use it on the FMRS, barring emergencies, since it is not FCC approved. It is a shame people just buy them and transmit anywhere, that makes us look all bad.

A little nip and tuck here financially but we are doing well otherwise.