View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 02:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the help! I'm finally convinced it's an alignment problem!

In the past I just had a cheap consumer modulator that could do channels 3 and 4, and both exhibited the same issue. Recently, I got a professional modulator that can do virtually any frequency and I tried it on channel 8. The color issue is gone! There is no shift and the tint doesn't vary with horizontal hold anymore. The color also looks correct with the color control turned very far down compared to where I had it on channel 3.

No change on the audio buzz though.

The main thing that has been holding me back from doing an alignment is that the TV I have has a KRK-98C tuner, while the manual covers the KRK-97. The main difference is the replacement of the 6fh5 rf amp tube with a nuvistor. Do you think I'll have any trouble with that?

Also, I have equipment, manuals, and a theoretical understanding for aligning things, but virtually no experience. The RCA manual refers to "knifing" the tuner coils to change their inductance. Is this just physically changing the separations between windings?

To answer other questions, with channel 3, the offset is independent of both the color control and fine tuning. Lowering the color makes the offset less noticeable but the position is the same. Same with the fine tuning, where a slight adjustment either way makes the color start to disappear.
Audiokarma