View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm legally blind and when I started first grade in 1983 (at a regular public school), they tried all sorts of regular magnification devices in order to help me and nothing really worked that well. My Mother then found out about the CCTV magnifiers and had me tested on one. At that time, they were made by Visualtek and the self-contained models came with either 12" B&W or green displays. There was also a bigger version that contained a separate 19" B&W monitor and there was a version that connected to a home TV (it also displayed in B&W).

My Mother approached the school system about buying me one and to make a long story short, they finally agreed to do so, with the stipulation that my parents buy me one for home use. They happily agreed to do that and I still have that unit. These cost about $2500 in 1984 dollars. In later years, when I was in college, they had some nicer units with color displays and in more recent years, the displays changed from CRT to LCD.

In addition to the one my parents bought for me, I bought a used one for $150 for use in my shop. The one in the shop is also B&W; but, it is a lot newer than the other one.