View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

I used a vacuum de-solder tool (IIRC it is called the Solda-pult)...The largest size I've seen sold (~12" long)...Normally that tool gets used on tube electronics with larger solder blobs. It was not ideal (I wish I had a smaller one), but repeated heating and vacuum cycles (and a touch of fresh lead solder) did the trick.
OK. I have a desoldering iron with integral vacuum bulb. Hope that will be appropriate.

When you were working on the board, was it pretty straight-forward to move it up into the service position? I know this is described in the service manual, but it's always nice to have a real-world description of it too.

Quote:
I did have a 25W iron which is more appropriate for PCB work than the 75W-150W cattle prod irons I normally use on the older stuff.
You usually don't even need to plug in a 150W iron, as the terminals will quiver in fear & heat up on their own if you come near them with an iron that size. ;-)

Quote:
This for me was an exercise in soldering finesse.

I understand. The good thing about it is that at least these are through-hole ICs, rather than surface mount.