View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 02:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Always loved the sony xbr sets. I saw a 30" in a pawn shop a while ago and they wanted $150. I passed on it but a short time later decided I had to have it, so I went back but it had sold. I kept looking and finally located a 34" xbr series 910 with its matching stand (craigs list) for $120 and picked it up. Shortly after that, I grabbed a 30" xbr 910 from a goodwill for $34.95 (which was the same price they had on all of their crt sets of which several were junk). I always wanted a Super fine pitch XBR when they were new, but prices were in the neighborhood of $2000-$3000. Anyway, the 34" began the flashing thing and wouldn't turn on. On checking the web, I ordered the ic that was suggested. Instead of disassembling the tv to get to the chip, I decided the easiest way was to use a dremel tool and carefully cut the plastic away below the chip. I then had easy access to get at the chip. While waiting for the replacement to arrive, I decided to resolder the pins securing the original chip to the board before pulling the original.....and......that fixed it! So I still have the replacement chip for future use but havent been able to use it because both sets are still going strong. This series does not have the atsc tuner but it does have the hdtv super fine pitch tube. I believe this is why the original owners probably got rid of them. Of course I went looking for a stand alone atsc tuner and found a samsung, so now I can watch broadcast hdtv, BUT I mainly use these tvs for my analogue stuff. There are several picture controls (such as clarity), which most tvs dont have .These xbrs can do wonders with laserdiscs, svhs, beta and regular vhs. With vhs going 5 for $1, it pays to have a great crt color tube so you can still enjoy the tape formats. If I would have had access to this tv when dvd first became available, I dont think I ever would have invested in dvd's because, these sets make laserdisc's look downright amazing.
Audiokarma