View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
My set hasn't had the MCZ fail again but the grey scale will shift red then the entire screen will go red and trip a shutdown. Sometimes I can slap it before it gets too red and it will go back to normal....It got real bad a few months ago and I reflowed some solder on the neck board ICs/heatsinks and it was fine for months, but it is slowly coming back.... Anyone got a more precise/lasting repair method?

CRTS on Sonys can get cranky. If the grey scale shifts, the AKB will mute the screen or causing blinking, but if the cathode goes too low, it will draw too much current and shut the chassis down.

Try gently flexing the neck board of the tube and gently tapping the neck of the tube itself. Sometimes, there could be a piece of wayward cathode material that gets caught between the other tube elements. If flexing the board seems to change things, take a close look at the IC mounted to the heatsink (some have one IC for each gun, others have one larger drive IC to cover all three). These ICs run hot and could develop cold joints.

If the tube was the problem, I used to use my modified B&K 467 to try to clean the out by pushing the shorts clear button repeatedly while tapping on the neck. If that didn't help, I'd put the B&K on clean setting and repeat while tapping the neck.

John