View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Well, I figured out the cause of my Linearity problem. It was source formatting error. I have been watching The Orville almost everyday on Hulu through my Roku box. The program filled out the screen completely as seen in the Oreo commercial photographed during the show. Today, without changing any settings, The Orville comes on letterboxed with perfect linearity including the commercials. As for the Archie Bunker photo, that was from a sub channel of one of our OTA digital stations. I tuned in again tonight to All In The Family and it is formatted too wide as my earlier photo shows. Turns out there is nothing wrong with my television set. I should not have attempted to adjust the picture. Some idiot was controlling transmission.

Before the digital transition, none of this was ever a problem. The world no longer fits inside a 4:3 screen, especially a round one. I appreciate everyone’s helpful suggestions. I was ready to pull the chassis and rebuild the whole vertical circuit. I should have known a Zenith TV would not be the weak link in this chain of converters, streaming boxes, modulators and cables. Remember when you could just plug in a set and switch it on?