View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
It is usually customary to state more specifically what you are working on (model) and generally make each thread about that item.
Some of us here online are a bit rusty reading minds.
The first analog commercially successful TVs come out about 1939.
In the US analog TV broadcasts stopped in 2009, so that's about 70 years that analog TVs were produced. What "vintage" is depends on ones definition, a lot of times on Craig's list anything before 2009 is vintage!
Tube set production ended approximately in 1970, that's about where I would draw the line. However some would put it earlier.
Tubular caps progressed through the years from paper dielectric (many times soaked with oil) in a cardboard tube sealed with wax to paper dielectric in a molded plastic case, to paper plus plastic film in a plastic molded or epoxy dipped case, to film alone in a dipped epoxy case, etc. Problems arise because the paper will degrade, molded plastic cases crack and expose the insides to the environment. Probably other things happened also. Some capacitors in the mid 60's may have still used paper.
So if your TV was made in the late 60s some of the tubulars are OK, it depends on the construction.
Electrolytics before 1980 I would replace.
This TV is a 1971 Zenith Chassis 14b38. Definitely a tube set. There are absolutely no viable newly manufactured can capacitors for sale that will work so I have decided to go the 'restuffing' route.