View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

My CTC-16XL Project.

The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move...

Wait a sec, that's the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy...

The story of this RCA, found ( rescued ) from a High School vocational electronics class, ( original problem , no color ), after some pretty dumb things were done to it, including , removing the color PCB.

I tried to fix it back then, but did not have much time to devote to it, since then, It has sat in storage waiting all these years, exposed to the cold of winter and the heat of summer. ( I'm sure the caps hated this, especially the electrolytics)

Last dec, I decided to pull it out and start working on it again, after much checking, I'm pretty sure ( not 100% ) that the color PCB is back in and hooked up correctly.
So, I dared to turn it on... no smoke, no explosions, no popped breakers, and after replacing the bad HV rec and reg, I got High voltage, and a raster ( very ugly ) no video yet. 21Fjp22a in great shape 3 good guns.

I'm still in the process of changing the main electrolytics, but I did see something a bit strange, C1a has been changed, but I still see a strong sawtooth wave there (before L45 and not after ) at about 10v when first turned on raising to 30v as tubes warm up and HV kicks on.

I'm pretty sure that sawtooth should not be there, or be that high, as mentioned, C1A has been replaced, (85uf 500v ) I may try something larger, I have NOT replaced C3B yet ( it may be coming from there.) and plan to replace the other electrolytics 1 at a time, to see if this goes away, I am also in suspect of the main LV rect diodes, they MAY be flaky, orig replacements are hard to find, so I'm guessing that 1N4005G dioded should be OK.

Once I get power stable on this thing, then I can worry about cleaning all the dirty pots and switches ( and tuner :/ ) and trying to get a video to show on it again...
I'm hoping that deoxit is a good choice for cleaning the tuner. :/

Last edited by Yamamaya42; 01-14-2020 at 09:21 PM.