View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
If you're getting a sawtooth waveform at first filter capacitor, don't be too surprised. These sets use a voltage doubler power supply, and it's going to have lots of ripple at the first filter. In other words, I'd kind of expect a sawtooth there.

Where did you get C1A from? What cap is it on the RCA schematic? Is that a sams or an RCA part number?

https://www.boxcarcabin.com/rcaschematics.html has most of the early rca schematics.

I sold my CTC16 some time ago, but it was a cool TV. Make sure to check for bad soldering of power resistors, and also I'd go over the chassis ground points. The spots where the boards are soldered to the chassis can cause intermittent issues if the solder isn't good, it would be a good idea to re-flow them. Clean all the tube sockets too.
I'm going from the sams , that matches my CTC-16XL (set 812 folder 2 )
there is slight difference in the CTC-16 vs CTC-16X, so much that they have different releases . but both have full bridge rectifiers, and look nothing like voltage doubler in the link you shown (odd) , the bridge and C1 a is in a link i pasted above, Was 80uf, (400v) now is 100uf (500v)

I took a peek at all RCA color types leading up to the ctc-16, I'm not sure what rev that was in your link, but it's not a 16, for the following, when they came out with the 16, the voltage doubler was removed when they added the degaussing coil circuit, also, some of the tube types dont match up with what is in the set as shown.

Last edited by Yamamaya42; 02-20-2019 at 07:55 AM.