View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Technohippie

Got started on the GRA-900-6 remote control, by building the handheld transmitter unit.

Unlike the Zenith type mechanical transmitter using ultrasonic chimes, the Heathkit design is electronic, consisting of a very simple 1-transistor Hartley oscillator, driving a small ultrasonic transducer. 8 separate ultrasonic frequencies can be generated by pressing each end of one of 4 rocker style buttons. Functions include on/off (which can also select one of 3 audio levels), UHF/VHF select, channel up/down, color up/down, and tint red/green. Each function button contact switches one of 8 precision (2%) silver mica caps into a single transistor oscillator circuit. The circuit is powered by a standard 9V battery.

Construction was pretty straightforward, with only 2 age-related issues. The 16 small brass rivets used for the board mounted switch contacts were pretty heavily tarnished and needed a good cleaning in order to be soldered onto the board and make reliable contact with the rocker leaf switches.

The other problem was that the provided foam tape had completely dissolved into sticky goo that was all over the bare PCB. Luckily it cleaned up well with IPA, leaving the board unharmed. The foam tape was replaced with a modern equivalent weatherstripping tape, and is used to cushion the battery and ultrasonic transducer inside the 2-part plastic housing.

For some reason, the remote transmitter and receiver PC boards are phenolic based, rather than the nicer epoxy glass ones in the rest of the set.

After finishing the remote transmitter, I installed a battery to see if it worked. I tried plugging the TV receiver microphone into a scope (it has an RCA plug cable attached) to see the signal, but saw nothing at all. A quick look at the receiver schematic shows that the microphone needs a 200V or so bias voltage which the receiver provides. I connected my scope probe right across the transmitter output leads, and got nice strong sinusoidal signals right at the transducer, with a different frequency for each button pressed, so the transmitter seems to be functional.

Up next, the remote receiver and the first hints of trouble ahead?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xmtr2.jpg (81.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg In Case.jpg (71.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Finished.jpg (69.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Grille.jpg (76.8 KB, 34 views)