View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 01:03 AM
M is for Memory

Here in NTSC-land I can see 60Hz flicker on CRT sets. It varies from unnoticeable to easy to see for me depending on the set and how fast my brain is clocking on a given day...I'm also more sensitive to it if I don't look straight at the screen. There have been times where I think I could actually just barely perceive the individual lines being scanned...

In the early 90's-DTV (the part of NTSC I've been alive for) color phase (tint/hue adjustment) tended to be fairly constant from station to station, and program to program, with some channels being slightly off from others occasionally (usually not not bad enough for anyone but knowledgeable videophiles/techs to notice enough to perhaps adjust the tint to compensate for).
However anecdotal evidence I've read/heard suggests that back in the tube era this was a more significant issue, and it was likely common in some places to have to tweak your tint knob on channel changes and some program source transitions. Tube equipment tended to suffer from adjustment drift, and it took many years for a vast majority of station techs to all learn how to keep their equipment calibrated properly...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma