Thread: Motorola 14P5-3
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Motorola 14P5-3

Hi All, I just started on the restoration on this Motorola portable set. i aquired it several years ago. it is in really decent shape (Two Tone White over Turkoise). it has all of the knobs as well as it is clean.
The Crt test strong. i powered it up & i have a raster, but no sound, although i do have audio as i can hear a slight noise from the speaker when i turn the volume control. it seems like there is no signal coming from the tuner.
i pulled the chassis the other night & did some checking i found what appear to be small wirewound coils encased in a odd coating & they had corosion on the ends of three of them. the three coils also measured open with my ohmeter. i do not have a schematic for this set. is there anyone in this forum familiar this this set?
is there a way to bypass these coils? or is it worth going through the trouble of restoring if there is no replacement?

the chassis number is TS-423A-01
The Model # 14P5-3

i have attached a picture the the coils incircled.

Here's a picture of the front of the Set:

I have tried looking for a Sams photofact using the Sams index, But i cannot find ether the model or chassis number listed anywhere for that set. the only choice i have left is Beitmans most often needed TV service diagrams, but i cannot find them Listed anywhere in the Beitmans or anywhere on the internet.

i will add more photos of this set once i put it back together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moto56-1.JPG (100.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Mot14p5-front.jpg (66.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by robert1; 02-22-2018 at 08:54 PM.