View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Not sure how I got here.

There are several years between our two vehicles, If you believe what is online, the
3.9 V6 I have was only in the 87, and 88. My speedo also only goes to 85 mph.
My OD will kick in at 40-45 or so like GM cars of those years. It also will hang in too
long on long slow upgrades so I often turn it off as the truck slows down on the hill, it
then drops to 3 and keeps speed very well... I found the build sheet to mine, under
the seats, it's a Heavy Duty option, stiffer springs and brakes, 15" dog dish hub cap
plain jane steel rims, while most have 15" alloy rims. I have the 3.9 that was
supposedly the 318 with 2 cylinders cut off... I remember the commercials for it.
Then came a redesign.... I couldn't believe they made an engine for just one model
and only for one or two years.... But it's not my job...
PS The only ones I have seen with techs are the Sport models that were 4 cyls.....

The stumbling I was having was around 30mph, driving around a corner, slowing for
something, stop sign. It seemed the engine would want to go below idle, and make
the gears lock up and clunk a bunch, then stepping on the gas just a little, it
would clunk again, hesitate and go. Online forums say it could be the idle motor, I
have one, you may not. Some replaced the computer, and a bunch had said a computer
reset did it, so I tried it...... Check your computer codes... You know how on yours...?
It may or may not be the 5 key -on - off trick like mine... It should be, I think it
changed in '95 96.