View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
Regarding the Canned-ohm resistor network, I replaced mine with 5 7.5-Kohm 5% 3w metal oxide resistors arranged on a terminal strip w/teflon tubing on the leads. This is 50% more power rating than the origninal (~~ 7.5W dissapation on the Canned-ohm network). Math of 500V accross the network comes out to about 7.5W. From the schematic, to me that is all this piece of the circuit is used for; the capacitor leakage test voltage accross the cap being tested; nothing else. When I measured each of the sections of the Canned-ohm one, they were not exactly "close" to each other; hence why I replaced it per the above.

Tom (PK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
Looks to me that the resistor network also supplies the plate bias for the eye-tube.
Hmm, I'll play it by ear when it arrives. I know eye tubes can be finnicky, but usually its the 1meg between the plates that screws them up. I'm hoping my can of ohms hasn't leaked and this is all just undue worrying on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
Yup, I mis-spoke about the leakage resistor network. It does supply the ~~ 200Vdc to the 6E5 tube (tap off the position #2 of the leakage/selector switch and where the other 8uF cap filters it too)..; my bad...

Tom (PK)
Edit: Disregard this. I have brought shame upon my house by screwing up Ohm's Law in public.

I think your math is a bit off there, 500v into ~36k is, indeed, just under 7W on a good day, however if you replaced them with 3w metal film resistors, you're in for a potential smoke scenario, because they're in series. Still only rated for 3W.

(I bet you mistyped it, or maybe your rectifier is just that far gone that it can't stump up the full 14mA for some reason.)

In related news my CB-1 is now within 50 miles of my door. Will it get here today? I hope so. Will it make very sad noises when I pick it up? I really hope not.

Last edited by NoPegs; 05-12-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: I broke Ohm's Law. :(
Audiokarma